Original Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) covers two types of services:
- Medically necessary services
- Preventative services
Below are highlighted 6 services you may be missing out on (or paying out of pocket for) because you did not know coverage was available.
- Acupuncture - Up to 12 acupuncture visits in 90 days if you suffer from chronic low back pain. If the acupuncture is working and you show improvement, they may cover an additional 8 sessions. The maximum sessions covered in a 12-month period is 20 acupuncture sessions.
- Chiropractic -If your doctor determines it is medically necessary then manual manipulation of the spine to correct a subluxation may be covered without a limit on the number of visits.
- Nutritional Counseling - If your doctor determines it is medically necessary you may have coverage for medical nutrition therapy (MNT). This counseling may include weight-loss counseling, obesity screening or diabetic counseling.
- Depression Screening - One screening per year is covered and must occur in a primary care setting.
- Tobacco-use cessation - Counseling to help you quit smoking may be covered. The maximum is 8 sessions in a 12-month period.
- Alcohol misuse screening - Once screening per year is covered and must occur in a primary care setting.
If you have Medicare Advantage, you have access to a greater variety of supplemental benefits (not covered by traditional Medicare) for 2022. You should talk to your doctor before receiving any services to be sure of the coverage and cost.
For a comprehensive list of what is covered by Medicare or to download the “What’s Covered” app go, click here.